Alabama Department of Senior Services
A RESOURCE FOR ALABAMA SENIORS WITH MEMORY LOSS AND THEIR CARE GIVERS
Long Term/Nursing Home Care
For those who have needs beyond those that can be provided by adult day services, home health care, or other residential care, or when it becomes too difficult on the caregiver to provide adequate and safe care, long-term care (also known as nursing home care) may be required.
There are more than 220 nursing homes in Alabama with a total of more than 26,000 beds. Medicare.gov recommends the following when finding a nursing home that meets your needs:
1) Find nursing homes in your area.
2) Compare the quality of the nursing homes you are considering.
3) Visit the nursing homes you are interested in, or have someone visit for you.
4) Ask specifically about dementia care services.
5) Choose the nursing home that meets both yours and your loved ones needs.